February 6, 1968
State archaeologist Carl J. Clauson reported that the wooden remains of a well dug in sand by survivors of the 1715 Fleet disaster had been uncovered. Sections of wood, almost certainly from the wooden beams of wrecked ships used as casing for a surface well, were excavated. The well was dug a short distance from the main camp. The location of campsite was discovered by Homer Cato, an amateur archaeologist, in August 1965.